Removing user accounts: The guidelines below are intended to keep discussions on EveryBlock informative, friendly and respectful. If you violate these guidelines, we may remove your submission and/or deactivate your account.
Also, please remember that a user's participation on EveryBlock is judged as a whole. Recurring un-neighborly behavior or negative contributions even if not specifically addressed in the community guidelines, can still lead to the deactivation of a user's account. Work with us to keep EveryBlock a respectful community.
- Respect your neighbors and practice good netiquette. Treat others as you would during a courteous face-to-face conversation.
- Stay on-topic. We want to encourage conversation that is relevant to the community. Let’s keep EveryBlock focused on neighborhood issues. If you’d like to discuss a citywide or nationwide issue, please be sure to mention how it relates to a specific location or issue in your neighborhood. Support questions and feedback should be sent using the feedback form.
- Flag offensive or inappropriate messages. We need your help to keep conversations respectful and on-topic. Use the "unneighborly" button to bring inappropriate messages to our attention. (See below under "EveryBlock Don'ts")
- Be a better neighbor! This is a chance for you to contribute valuable information about your neighborhood. Thanks for being a part of the community.
- Personal Attack - Don’t post personal attacks. This includes directly or indirectly insulting another user (or group of users) by name-calling, labeling, making sweeping generalizations or posting accusations. This also applies to members in the community who may or may not be EveryBlock users (for example business owners, elected officials, etc.). If you feel a discussion makes you uncomfortable or if you have lost interest, you can unsubscribe, hide the discussion, or mute specific users. (link for how to mute or unsubscribe people/feeds)
- Privacy Violation - Respect your neighbors’ privacy. Remember that EveryBlock is a public web site. Do not post contact information for yourself, other EveryBlock users, or anyone else in the community. This includes; addresses, phone numbers, email, or commercial information. The same applies when posting photos on EveryBlock.
- Libel - Don’t be libelous. EveryBlock is not the place for posting rumors or gossip about your neighbors. Do not post falsehoods or misrepresentations of others portrayed as fact.
- Advertisement - Don’t post advertisements or solicitations. (For example: “Stop by Joe’s Car Wash for 50 percent off tomorrow!” or “Check out my apartment for rent. It’s only $800 per month.”) However, you may share information that would be considered beneficial and of interest to the community, such as community events, concerts, activities or new businesses opening in the neighborhood.
- Spam - Don’t spam the community. Avoid repeatedly sending the same or substantially similar messages, empty messages, or messages which contain no substantive content.
- Deleting conversations or closing comments - EveryBlock has the right to delete or close comments on any conversation that includes offensive language, a series of personal attacks, excessive arguing, or has veered off-topic from the subject of the original message posting.
- Multiple Accounts - Don't set up or operate multiple accounts. Individuals are forbidden from creating and operating more than one account on EveryBlock. If we discover that a user is operating multiple accounts, EveryBlock staff may remove or deactivate one or more associated accounts.
EveryBlock staff may remove, modify or correct comments and posts that violate these guidelines or that are flagged many times by EveryBlock users. If you have any further questions or feel that your comments were unjustly removed, please contact us through the feedback form.